LEGISLATIVE & COMMUNITY ADVOCACY
Interfaith Alliance of Iowa Action Fund
SEPARATION OF RELIGION AND GOVERNMENT
- Support the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States, which strictly forbids the establishment of religion. Respect for all people and their individual religious beliefs is a core value of our shared democracy.
- Oppose the use of school-sponsored prayer in public schools, including mandated “moments of silence,” in public schools.
- Oppose the posting of the Ten Commandments or other religious texts and symbols in public buildings, including public schools.
- Support dismantling the federal Office of Faith-Based & Neighborhood Partnerships and recommend all associated public funds and responsibilities be reallocated to the appropriate governmental department. Faith organizations must be required to establish a separate, non-sectarian organization to receive government funds for public services.
CIVIL RIGHTS and NON-DISCRIMINATION
- Support protecting voting rights for all Iowans.
- Support the Iowa Civil Rights Law, including prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity in employment, housing, credit, education, and public accommodations.
- Support calls for comprehensive immigration reform that would expand legal channels for immigrants to have legal protections and to contribute to the United States of America.
- Support the equal recognition and protection of the privileges and rights of all individuals in civil marriage, regardless of the gender of each partner.
- Oppose any law or legislation restricting the civil right to marry for individuals of the same gender, including but not limited to amendments to the Iowa or United States Constitution.
- Support the federal Hate Crimes Prevention Act, including offenses based on real or perceived gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
- Support the adoption of the federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) designed to provide legal protection for gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, and transgender persons in the workplace.
- Support the expansion of Iowa’s Hate Crimes law to include offenses based on gender identity.
PRINCIPLES FOR A STRONG PUBLIC EDUCATION
- Support public funds used to support public education. Public funds should not be diverted to private elementary and secondary education choices.
- Support the elimination of federal and state vouchers and tuition tax credits for K-12 religious or non-public schools or homeschool choices.
- Support adequate funding of public schools to ensure a world-class education for all Iowa children.
- Support fair pay and benefits for Iowa teachers, staff, and administrators.
- Support the separation of religion and government, including in public schools.
- Support comprehensive, science-based, age-appropriate sexuality education.
- Support equality, safety, and respect for all Iowa children.
WOMEN’S REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS
- Support a woman’s right to quality healthcare.
- Support a woman’s right to make her own health decisions without the interference of the government or religion.
- Support public funding of Planned Parenthood of the Heartland and other providers in their work to ensure all women in Iowa have access to quality healthcare and family planning services.
- Support raising the minimum wage in Iowa to a livable wage for Iowa workers.
- Oppose the dismantling of collective bargaining rights and other benefits for Iowa’s workers.
- Support legislation in Iowa to better monitor and stop wage theft, particularly for low wage workers.
- Support legislation in Iowa to limit payday loans and the high interest rates charged.
- Support Iowa’s judicial merit selection and retention system.
- Support the retention of judges in their appointment, with removal being considered only in cases of misconduct or malfeasance.
SAFE SCHOOLS FOR ALL CHILDREN
- Support the anti-bullying and anti-harassment legislation passed by the Iowa Legislature in 2007.
- Support full implementation of anti-bullying and anti-harassment policies in all school districts and non-public schools in Iowa to include staff and student training on best practices to prevent bullying and harassment in schools.
ENSURING GUN SAFETY IN OUR COMMUNITIES
- Support reducing the risk to children and communities by demanding Congress and the Iowa Legislature pass common sense public policies to decrease gun violence and increase gun safety.
- Support public policies mandating criminal background checks for all firearm sales, ban assault weapons for use by the general public, ban public access to high capacity ammunition clips of more than 10 rounds, strengthen access to mental health services, and address school safety.
- Oppose all legislation in Iowa to reinstitute the death penalty.