Iowans from across the state will be speaking out on Wednesday, February 27, to tell lawmakers they support Iowa’s common sense gun laws and to VOTE NO on legislation that would place Iowans in harm’s way. The Day of Action will focus on stopping the constitutional amendment that would expand gun rights as well as the bill that would allow permit-less carry in Iowa. Both would do harm to current law designed to keep Iowans safe and any future laws to be considered.
Religious and community leaders will hold a press conference at the Iowa Capitol in Room 116 at 9:45 am to speak out against the legislation. Gun safety advocates are encouraged to attend the press conference and then take action by talking with legislators at the Statehouse.
Additionally, Iowans from across the state are encouraged to participate in an Email/Phone Blitz on the same day. Gun safety advocates should contact their own senator and representative through email and/or phone and ask them to reject the legislation.
Email/Phone Blitz on the Day of Action:
- Call and/or email both your representative and your senator anytime on Wednesday, February 27.
- If a cell or home phone number is available, please call them on this. If not, call the House or Senate Switchboard.
- Emails should be sent to their legislative email.
- Always be polite and civil, even if you are sure the lawmaker disagrees with you.
- Please focus on asking them to “Vote No” on the Constitutional Amendment and to “Vote No” on the Permit-less Carry legislation. See Common Sense Gun Safety Brief.
- Our message for the day is important but we certainly want you to use your own words. And, if you can personalize it with a story, please do so.
How to Reach Your Senator and Representative:
- If you do not know who to contact, please visit Find Your Legislator.
- After filling in your address, your senator and representative will be listed on the page.
- Click on one of the names and their contact information will be on their information page. Be sure to go back and click on the other name, too.
General Iowa Capitol Contact Information:
- House Switchboard: 515.281.3221
- Senate Switchboard: 515.281.3371
- Legislative Emails: FIRSTname.LASTname@legis.iowa.gov
A Day of Action is sponsored by the Interfaith Alliance of Iowa Action Fund, Episcopal Diocese of Iowa, Iowans for Gun Safety, Iowa United Methodist Advocacy Team, Progress Iowa, and Iowa Coalition Against Domestic Violence.